PDA

View Full Version : How to re-install Battlefield without downloading all files again.

Avaricenz
21-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi boys n girls,
After re-imaging windows the other day I've had a bit of a mission getting BF4 going properly.
I could play vanilla maps, but origin wouldn't register any installed DLC's.
Its all sorted now so I thought I'd post up a quick guide in case anyone has has an issue with it in the future.

First Backup your game files to an external HDD or another HDD not used for windows.
The game files are usually found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games
Reinstall windows, re-image or whatever your choice is for a fresh Windows install.
The key to this is freshly installing Origin. So if you have loaded an image with Origin installed, uninstall it and BF4, restart and install Origin.
Before logging in for the first time, copy over the game files you backed up earlier to :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games
Login to Origin
Go to the My games tab
Hover cursor over BF4 and click download
Origin will scan and verify game files and your good to go.

Sometimes there is an error (which is what happened to me) where the game is telling you to download the DLC's , when you try to join a server running a DLC map.
Windows registry is missing the correct entries the game needs to see you do have them installed.

Here is a link with the fix http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/Reinstalled-Battlefield-4-but-cannot-start-the-DLC-s-PC/td-p/2459232