PDA

View Full Version : Forum Changelog

Voltstriker
23-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Greetings and salutations minions,

As many of you may have noticed by now the forum looks rather different. This is the result of a couple weeks of finding a skin with a nice layout, trawling through said skin's bad code, modifying bad code to be not as bad code, changing ugly colours, and spending hours upon hours of using the colour palette tool on photoshop to find a colour that's just right - I now hate the colour orange ;)

Anyway, I welcome you to the new skin for the forums - hopefully you like it :D . I was working on this up until a few nights ago and still will be, however I have to stop while I am doing my HSC's so I thought why not let you guys use what I have done in the meantime. So yeah, expect some things to not be fully completed.

In addition to the new look, I have added some new features to the forum that benefits both the regular members and the administration team, some these you probably would have noticed and used by now. A list of all the changes I have made in the past couple of week are listed below:

New Features

Visual overhaul
Buttons at the very top of the forums that link to our various social media pages/areas of interest
Automated birthday message in a new birthday forum (www.sonsofvalour.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
Ability for admins to change a posts owner: select thread using checkbox and drop down the Moderation Tools list
User tagging and notifications system: Format is the @ symbol followed by their username (i.e. Voltstriker). It gives a notification which is view able in the notifications button in top right corner of screen. Please note that quoting people also gives a notification so try not to quote and tag people simultaneously to reduce on notification spam
Mood System: While this might be a little gimicky, I think its adds a little bit of a personal touch to your profile. Either on your profile or in the postbit area to the left of any of your posts their is an area to edit your moods. For some reason it doesn't let you remove a mood, you can only change them. (Sorry Joel you already have a mood set - I accidently set it while I was testing it)
Mass private messaging tool (only for admins sorry :P ): Go to AdminCP > Users > Send PM to Users
Post like feature: You have probably already seen this on the old skin as thanking people for their posts - this is only because I couldn't be bothered editing it on the old skin to say "Liking posts". Basically, click the like under their post. High Council have the ability to remove likes in case its needed though I might remove it from Hairy to stop his rampant corruption.
Added sidebar to the Activity Stream page
Updated the sidebar to look a little better (also changed what side its on)
Show current staff online: Viewable on the sidebar
Top posters list: Viewable by going to the Community drop down menu below the navbar and clicking Top Posters - can also see a link to it down in the statistics section on the main page of the forums
Forum uptime counter: Little tool that shows how long the forum has been online for - can see in statistics section on main page on forums
Ability to designate access to the forum to certain users when I close it for maintenance
Tab on the left hand side of your screen that pops out a form with the teamspeak server on it: Please give me feedback about it - its functionality, if it works properly, if it looks visually appealing (i made that background for it as a placeholder and I'm going to update that in the future)
Users can now upload forum avatars
Added link to inbox at top of page and removed inbox link from notifications drop down
Fixed up the Battlelog link so it now links to a permanent page that won't change even if you change usernames.
Added strikethrough (strikethrough) BBCode: to use surround your text with the tags [ s] [/s ] (remove spaces in square brackets)
Upgraded the quick reply editor: now has more buttons on it
Added awards system: will be implemented shortly (for donators and various other achievements)
Added feature that allows admins to set a reason for closing a thread: close thread then go to area above first post
Added GeoIP tool: click the IP button below posts and it will display approximate locations (admin only)
Auto Youtube link parsing: now automatically embeds youtube links into posts
Allow users to select an avatar at registration
Shows an icon next to the original poster's/thread starter's posts that highlight that they started the thread
Added Upcoming Scrims widget on sidebar: will be tweaking this
Added downloads section to forums: access through downloads button in navbar

Known Issues/Things I might work on in the future after exams

Update banner and (maybe) background
Colours on the settings page and the profile page are still on the default colour scheme of vBulletin
In the new post page the area underneath the message form doesn't sit within the background
Database errors when liking posts - spams me with emails when people like posts
Some alignment issues on pages
Font sizes/colours/actual fonts
Some extra plugins for the forum
Maybe some extra smilies?

So yeah, sorry for the long post. Its been a long time since the forum has been updated/changed so much so there is a lot to list. Please leave feedback and suggestions as to areas that you may not like/could be improved/errors you may be getting. Seriously, leave feedback.

If you have gone through this whole post going I have no idea what he is talking about, press Control and F5 to clear your cache and refresh this post.

Dazz
23-10-2014, 08:24 PM
looks great .good job mate

DRZdeano
23-10-2014, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UvJZmGTsk

Vizion
Looks fucking mint gj

Protius_hF
looks awesome

Kamaji63
23-10-2014, 08:57 PM
This is the shit. +1 Volt

XiSTNZ
24-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Cheers for all the work volt. Looks really good.

XiSTNZ
24-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Your service is sub par and offences actionable in a court of law.

As long as @Corrupt_Eagle isnt the judge, everything should be fine :D

Pirate_Radio
24-10-2014, 07:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiygG8Gx7bg

XiSTNZ
24-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Lol pirate, I am definately using that somewhere.

tweak
24-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Great work Volt. Bout time you done something around here!

Rogue Killer
24-10-2014, 02:39 PM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140219004357/rsroleplay/images/4/40/I-approve-baby-with-pipe-meme.jpg

Dreamtime
24-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Let me know if you need Html,Css,Js or jquery help in the future.

XiSTNZ
24-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Is danyon a html master?

FeralFoxTrot
24-10-2014, 06:24 PM
no mobile changes?

Squish
24-10-2014, 06:37 PM
I enjoy that I can make myself bemused

Voltstriker
24-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Let me know if you need Html,Css,Js or jquery help in the future.

will do thanks

no mobile changes?
Mobile devices currently use a premium mobile skin designed by vBulletin - it works nicely with all of the features of the site and as such I haven't ever bothered upgrading that skin because you can just request the desktop site. Besides there aren't that many mobile styles that I can see from my quick search - most of them you have to pay for and I would like to avoid unnecessary payments as much as possible as users can just switch to the desktop site (as stated earlier)

I might look into changing the mobile skin but atm I don't have time

Dreamtime
24-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Is danyon a html master?
What even is html

Voltstriker
24-10-2014, 09:26 PM
What even is html

one of the easiest languages XD

XiSTNZ
24-10-2014, 11:38 PM
As long as its not BB code :D

Vizion
24-10-2014, 11:47 PM
What is all this foreign language you speak of :P

Reaver
25-10-2014, 12:03 AM
Need 'Sexy' or 'Reaver' mood

Voltstriker
25-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Fixed custom forum avatars (thank you to Reaver for pointing this out to me). Users should be able to upload their own custom avatars now - the forum will automatically resize them to 80x80 pixels

Squish
25-10-2014, 07:28 PM
I am enjoying these upgrades

Voltstriker
25-10-2014, 09:47 PM
I am enjoying these upgrades

I am enjoying your avatar haha

XiSTNZ
26-10-2014, 02:00 AM
I did laugh when i first saw squish's avatar.

Zantonite
26-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Looks good volt!

Voltstriker
26-10-2014, 06:16 PM
New font: yay or nay?

Example of old font (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn2gxvm7p57anwr/Old%20Font.PNG?dl=0)

Example of new font (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn09ln4plfnqu6g/New%20Font.PNG?dl=0)

XiSTNZ
26-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I dont mind, font is font

IamTriggerHappy
26-10-2014, 08:46 PM
comic sans pls

Reaver
26-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Sexy mood

Voltstriker
27-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Added link to Inbox at the very top of the forums and removed it from the notifications drop down

Voltstriker
28-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Fixed database errors, fixed various colouring issues, adjusted postbit information (stuff on left side of posts), added a link to Battlelog profile under your post info.

The link to your battlelog gets its info from the Origin ID profile field - edit it under the About Me tab on your profile page. If your Origin ID is not current/up to date, the link will be broken and send you to a 404 page on battlelog

Voltstriker
03-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Fixed up the Battlelog link so it now links to a permanent page that won't change even if you change usernames.
Added strikethrough (strikethrough) BBCode - to use surround your text with the tags [ s] [/s ] (remove spaces in square brackets)
Upgraded the quick reply editor - now has more buttons on it
Added awards system - will be implemented shortly (for donators and various other achievements)
Added feature that allows admins to set a reason for closing a thread - close thread then go to area above first post
Added GeoIP tool - click the IP button below posts and it will display approximate locations (admin only)
Auto Youtube link parsing - now automatically embeds youtube links into posts
Allow users to select an avatar at registration
Shows an icon next to the original poster's/thread starter's posts that highlight that they started the thread
Added Upcoming Scrims widget on sidebar - will be tweaking this

Please remember to let me know of any bugs/improvements to the forum because so far I am just going off what I think might improve it.

Currently working on integration/linking of steam profiles with the profiles on here

Squish
03-11-2014, 10:39 PM
I refuse to let you see my stats.

Voltstriker
04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Added downloads section to the forums. Access through the 'Downloads' button on the navbar.

Voltstriker
30-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Added a bunch of new smilies to the forum - some really aren't that flash but what the hell

If anyone has any feedback/suggestions, message me and I will take it under consideration

:ohnoes::;))::love::-_-::kiss::xD::heheh::wink::=Z::sweat::=D::smile::=-0::sadface::;DD::saddd::;;D::sad::;-D::O_O::;-)::bananajump::bananadoggywow::woot::Banane43::Ban ane36::Banane35::Banane20::Banane03::bananapowersl ide::bananapartyhat::bananalama::positive::devilis h::pirate::cupcake::mad-new::cat::lock::love_heart::blue::watermelon::livi d::bee::very_drunk::headphones::whistle::strawberr y::ghost::angel::star::frog::afro::smiley_simmons: :eagerness::abnormal::sleeping::dog::flustered::sa turn::disgust::tranquillity:

Kamaji63
31-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Is it possible to have emotes like the ones on twitch?

MrPoliceMan
31-01-2015, 02:07 PM
:bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::b ananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::ban anapartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::banan apartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananap artyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapar tyhat::bananapartyhat::bananapartyhat:

Voltstriker
31-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Is it possible to have emotes like the ones on twitch?

What do you mean - the default emotes on twitch or like custom emotes for each person? If you can get me the files and they aren't restricted by copyright law then yes to the first one, no to the second one.

Voltstriker
04-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Update on November 4, 2015

Added support for advisory council, forums to follow this post (sorry!)
Fixed the servers not displaying on the front page
Removed pretty sparkly titles from under High Council
Replaced plain text ranks with custom CSS badges in the postbit (left side of posts)
Ranks will now be sorted from highest position to lowest instead of alphabetically (once I activate it later today)
Removed teamspeak popout that used to be on left side of screen - IamTriggerHappy will be pleased
Fixed some BBCode displaying bright green colours (if anyone notices bright green anywhere, please tell me - it shouldn't be there)
Other minor tweaks/fixes

As per usual, if you don't like something or think something should be added just let me know.

IamTriggerHappy
04-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Removed teamspeak popout that used to be on left side of screen - IamTriggerHappy will be pleased

https://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/53e6bb1d0d679.jpg

XiSTNZ
04-11-2015, 05:40 PM
I like the new badges.

pksllayer
05-11-2015, 01:45 AM
He's alive!

Voltstriker
15-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Update on 15 November 2015

Updated forum banner: text updated and it now blends with the forum background (may take a bit to update, caching seems to be dodgy on the server)
Slightly modified front page asthetics
Added copyright notices for some plugins that require them

https://sonsofvalour.net/forums/images/banner.gif

Voltstriker
18-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Update on 18 November 2015

Added new image resizing BBCode: use the code provided below or click the button in the text editor (bottom right of the BBCode list)

[ resize=WIDTH IN PIXELS]IMAGE LINK HERE[/resize]

OR
[ resize=WIDTH IN PIXELS][ ATTACH=CONFIG]2621[/ATTACH][/resize]

Voltstriker
25-02-2016, 02:36 AM
Update on 25 February 2016

Installed SSL certificate on domain
Teamspeak widget on front page changed: GameTracker apparently doesn't provide HTTPS links, meaning people would have to manually click load every time they load the page. :saddd:
Small back-end changes
Removed background from favicon

Forums connectivity has been a little shoddy since installing the certificate, hopefully it is just a coincidence. Let me know if the forum experiences extreme downtime. Some pages on the forum may not display the green padlock before the URL due to having external images linked in threads that aren't in HTTPS (don't be concerned about it).