PDA

View Full Version : BF4 Servers

IamTriggerHappy
22-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Ok, so here it is....

Lets discuss all things BF4 servers. This includes server size (possible formats), and server providers.

Public Server
HC thinking is that we purchase a server tailored for the large formats. So 64 players plus a commander for each team PLUS 2 spectator slots (if SoV server admins need to log in to check players before issuing slay/kicks/bans)

This means we would need to purchase a 68 player server.

Gameservers.com $88.35
Hypernia $85
AUSgamers $68

I personally think we should continue with gameservers as a provider. Even though their servers have been less than reliable their tech support has been pretty bloody good and we have seen some major improvements after their lead technician look at our server.

Private Server
HC have had no thoughts or discussions about a private server as no information on competition formats have been announced.

sooooo.... DISCUSS

XiSTNZ
23-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Agree with the 68 slot, and i think we should stay with gameservers, if we have issues, we can say to them that its not acceptable and can move to someone else.

as mentioned private server will be determined on comp formats. but i think we should have room for 4 spectators. so if the format is 10v10 + commander that will be 22 people plus the 4 observers, so a 26 slot would be required at minimum. but i think we should wait until we see what format it is, unless we get some bonus about pre ordering then i would go with a ~32p server which we can open to public until we decide on the format.

FeralFoxTrot
23-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I assume we're aiming for popularity here. So what Xistnz is suggesting allows for the the most popular server size with extra flexibility. I heard however, that servers have slots separate for observers, so that you don't need to set aside server spaces. About staying with your current provider, I've had experience with service providers with "questionable" service, and good service is a necessity, also better the devil you know, etc. Also, whats going on with the changes to 5v5, with 5 man squads available. Will it stay the same, or move up to 6v6 to split a squad.

IamTriggerHappy
23-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I heard however, that servers have slots separate for observers, so that you don't need to set aside server spaces.

Have you got a link or a document for this? I presumed otherwise going off information on gameservers.com website

About staying with your current provider, I've had experience with service providers with "questionable" service, and good service is a necessity, also better the devil you know, etc.

Out of the 3 providers, gameservers seems to be able to provide the best service albeit dodgy.

Also, whats going on with the changes to 5v5, with 5 man squads available. Will it stay the same, or move up to 6v6 to split a squad.

There has been little information released on game modes for competition for BF4. I think the main focus for BF4 competition will be on the medium sized formats (most likely 10v10 with or without commander). The smaller formats will probably be 5v5 to keep it inline and more transferrable with CS and CoD competitions.

IamTriggerHappy
23-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Trigger, in reply to the server discussion, the forum won't let me reply, so

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/10...pectator-mode/ and quote: If spectating is enabled, there are four Spectator slots per server, and those four slots are excluded from the number of players the game mode allows. So on PC and next-gen cons

I think that all under the presumption "If the server has enough slots".

"there are four Spectator slots per server". yes, if there are 4 slots available. Lets say you only have purchased 32 slots for a server and it is fully populated by players... You wont be able to have any spectators because there will be no slots available for them as they are all taken up by playing characters. If you purchased a 70 slot server you will have room for the maximum 64 playing characters, 2 commanders, and 4 spectators.

"and those four slots are excluded from the number of players the game mode allows". This is just saying that there are additional slots on top of the playing character slots available for spectators if you have purchased them.

This is the information I was going off from Gamerservers.com's FAQ

How many slots does BF4 Support?
BF4 supports up to 70 maximum slots. This number includes 64 players, 2 dedicated commander slots, and 4 spectator slots.

Effort
23-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Save yourself 2 dollars or so and only get 2 spec slots.

sentinel3475
23-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Large server would be awesome! bring on teh vechicles!

habergowd
23-10-2013, 06:27 PM
No commanders on 5v5 or 10v10.
FYI.

Voltstriker
23-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Hypernia is not an option. Their large pricing per slot, coupled with their awful server service during and before BF3 and the $10-15 fee per month just because we live in Australia is just bullshit.

I am in two minds about whether or not to go with AusGamers or Gameservers. I have heard pretty good things about the people running AusGamers (ex-managers of GameArena i think?) but I don't know/see any concrete examples. I would like to suggest start of with Gameservers, and if their service becomes worse, move to AusGamers and give them a try.

For server configuration/slot count: I think 64 slots, in addition to 2 commanders and 2 spectator slots is ideal. I am assuming that once the game is released and Procon can begin doing shit with BF4, we will have the option to limit who gets in spectator slots/kick them if needed.

I think if we put up a few options and then create a poll we can finalise what we want for our servers.

FeralFoxTrot
23-10-2013, 08:11 PM
No commanders on 5v5 or 10v10.
FYI.

Makes sense, just not necessary, even on 32p really.

FeralFoxTrot
23-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Ok, wasn't sure how gameservers would list it. Good to clarify though. So 68 slots and two spectators? Don't really see the point in 4. More angles I guess?

Voltstriker
23-10-2013, 08:40 PM
So 68 slots and two spectators
No it's 66 slots + 2 spectators

DRZdeano
23-10-2013, 10:01 PM
stop being cheap, just get the 4 spec slots

Effort
24-10-2013, 04:30 AM
stop being cheap, just get the 4 spec slots

why tho? they'll never be used and any CG match you're only going to have 1 ref sit in and maybe 1 caster. save the ~2 dollars and in 38 months you get a free month. Try and tell me that isn't good value deano.

FeralFoxTrot
24-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Sorry, Was tired, I meant 68 including the two spectators.

Voltstriker
24-10-2013, 05:08 PM
save the ~2 dollars and in 38 months you get a free month. Try and tell me that isn't good value deano.

deano, every bit counts

Crusader-NZ
25-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Will help contribute to a server providing:

1) It is going to be a large server (not interested in 32 - 16p)
2) It will be used as our recruiting grounds and play maps which are popular (so it doesn't sit there empty all day)
3) It is NOT hosted by Hypernia. I really hate that provider, their services and support are shit.

*Apologies for Ts&Cs in my support for the server, but I do have personal interests at stake in return for my support.

FeralFoxTrot
25-10-2013, 12:55 PM
If every bit counts, I might donate 20 bucks around christmas time, if I can set it aside.

Effort
25-10-2013, 01:47 PM
3) It is NOT hosted by Hypernia. I really hate that provider, their services and support are shit.
Hypernia are for all intensive purposes, dead to Australia. You pay more than any other service for a worse service, plus now they're whacking on an extra $15p/month tax for hosting it in AU.

Crusader-NZ
31-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Hypernia are for all intensive purposes, dead to Australia. You pay more than any other service for a worse service, plus now they're whacking on an extra $15p/month tax for hosting it in AU.

Wow. Its almost like they really do not want people to use their services.

Also will put some cash towards a server.

How much do we need?

IamTriggerHappy
31-10-2013, 07:55 PM

1) It is going to be a large server (not interested in 32 - 16p)
2) It will be used as our recruiting grounds and play maps which are popular (so it doesn't sit there empty all day)

*Apologies for Ts&Cs in my support for the server, but I do have personal interests at stake in return for my support.

We appreciate that some members may have terms and conditions around donations however please note that all donations are non specific and will go towards the general operation of the clan. We cannot and will not tailor specific needs of single members, but will consult the clan as a whole and ask for feedback before making any major changes to server size, game modes etc.

Wow. Its almost like they really do not want people to use their services.

Also will put some cash towards a server.

How much do we need?

A public server has already been purchased, and a 2nd private server will be purchased once more information on competitive game size and modes are released.

http://www.sonsofvalour.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79

We appreciate every donation that is received.