Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120hz or 144hz

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

120hz or 144hz

Hi all,
      So I've had my trusty Samsung 60hz for a couple years now and it been doing a good job. But been looking to upgrade because everyone seems to be in love with their 144hz/120hz.

So my question - is a good 144hz worth the money over a good 120hz?

Would I notice the difference coming from 60hz to warrant investing in 144hz
      Or would I be as happy with 120hz?

Your experiences? Thanks in advance

-Splinter

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      No idea if you'd notice a difference between 120Hz and 144Hz, but you will cream your pants gaming on either one of those after upgrading from 60Hz.

I'd say theoretically, going the 144Hz would be the better choice just purely because more frames per second the better. But you need to make sure your graphics card is up to it. No point going the 144Hz if your card can only manage 90fps.

In my experience, BenQ make some really products in the 24" range. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...cPath=558_1090

Be careful of 27" as I heard that the colours at 120 and 144 Hz can be a bit washed out. But that information would be a year or two out of date now and some improvement may have been made since. Just do your research and you should be right.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

3. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      lll-Griffsta-lll
      Having moved from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor, I found that the improvement was huge also felt that the move from a LCD to a LED improved the gaming performance too.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

So, excuse my complete nubness -

is it just me but I can't seem to find any 120hz monitors from the usual suspects - pc case gear, mwave, umart, MSY,

I can maybe source from Amazon....but I'd have thought these guys would have a few 120hz too...
      Gona check JB and the like. .but not gona hold my breath..

Everyone seems to only sell 144hz - little help?

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      lll-Griffsta-lll
      My guess is 120hz is the older models or panels where 144hz panels are the newer ones

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Quote Originally Posted by Griffsta View Post
      My guess is 120hz is the older models or panels where 144hz panels are the newer ones
      That would be my guess too. There are 1 or 2 monitors out that claim over 200Hz so the tech is obv improving

http://www.eizo-apac.com/products/fo...421/index.html
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      good question, ive been thinking of upgrading in the past couple weeks. I found this is an interesting read and it might help ur lack of knowledge in the area
      http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-...eptember-2015/

9. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Drunk

Battlelog
      Surge-Reaver
      Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
      Hi all,
      So I've had my trusty Samsung 60hz for a couple years now and it been doing a good job. But been looking to upgrade because everyone seems to be in love with their 144hz/120hz.

So my question - is a good 144hz worth the money over a good 120hz?

Would I notice the difference coming from 60hz to warrant investing in 144hz
      Or would I be as happy with 120hz?

Your experiences? Thanks in advance

-Splinter
      No idea what the rest of your setup is but make sure you can output over 144fps or you won't see any improvement

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

thanks for the info so far lads.

So i will pause on my quest for a monitor upgrade. gotta upgrade my vid card 1st before can take advantage of the upgrade.

will probably look at picking something up in a couple months closer to xmas or something ....can justify the spend as an xmas gift to myself that way!! (the suckers aren't cheap!

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Righto - so i'll be getting a promotion at work next week and have decided to celebrate with PC upgrades!

Looking at getting a new GPU to replace my current GTX570 & picking up the 144hz monitor.

So my requirements are something that will be able to run 144hz well, and i predominately play CSGO and other FPS...while i do play other game types i'd prefer to maximise my FPS play!

Research so far everyone seems to suggest GTX970 as the best option for getting the most out of the 144hz monitor
      (i have a 750w PSU so i believe that will be able to cater for the bigger GPU - correct me if i'm wrong?)

however there is plenty of info out there saying the GTX960 is a capable card for running the 144hz monitor - although there's plenty of debate about it....

having trouble deciding and deciphering the mountain of online feedback i'm finding...
      so thought i'd get your guys opinions - is the GTX970 (@ ~$500) worth the extra $200 or so over the GTX960 (@~$280-300). - if my primary aim is maximum performance in game ... (just wana get dem juan deag's all dae)

The Monitor that i'm leaning towrads is the ASUS VG248QE - seems to be a good enough choice.

Other specs that may help:
      Intel i5 2.67gz
      16 GB Ram
      750w PSU
      512 SSD + plenty of normal HDD storage
      Last edited by Splinter; 02-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.