Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle

Hairy's PC upgrade

Hey Guys

After being inspired by other setups, I have decided to upgrade my PC. I'm not the best with computers and I have never built one in the past. For the last week or so I have done alot of research and really enjoying expanding my knowledge. This build could take awhile as I don't have the funds to buy everything straight away.

Current setup
      Spoiler Spoiler - Click to View

After upgrade

I will eventually upgrade the case too, but for now it will do. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers
      Last edited by Hairy_Eagle; 14-09-2016 at 12:08 PM.
      Hairy_Eagle | Head of Recruitment | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

2. The following user likes this post:

XiSTNZ 

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Protius_hF
      Are you going to be re-utilizing your old SSD if you are you could potentially save $$ by just buying a new 128Gb rather than the new 250GB SSD, reason being is 128 GB is more than enough for the operating system and then use your old SSD for games / programs that you want fast access to.

I highly recommend the H100i cooler is awesome, as for other parts i will throw to the others as I unlearn-ed at the moment.

Protius

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      seems like a pretty normal build with those parts.

my only food for thought on the GPU is that AMD Vega series are coming out in a month or two and it might be worth holding on to seeing what they are like. They are supposed to be an enthusiast line and will compete with the 1080.

Otherwise if you prefer nvidia cards its really what can you afford?

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle

That 120GB SSD that you can see is from my old computer, I use it as storage. I currently have a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB which I can re-use, but since im replacing so much I want a new one
      Last edited by Hairy_Eagle; 14-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
      Hairy_Eagle | Head of Recruitment | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle

I'm still undecided, I have always had AMD but it might be time for a change. The vega is rumored to be coming out as early as next month.

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Eagle View Post

I'm still undecided, I have always had AMD but it might be time for a change. The vega is rumored to be coming out as early as next month.
      the rumours are usually true. the polaris cards i bought were released on the day speculated. mid october for the vega

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      you could drop from the i7 down to i5 (6600k is the only unlocked i5) from what ive read the extra capabilities(cores?) of that chip are more used for CAD programs , not so much games.

tho it might be worth it if you intend to use video editing\rendering software

was about to buy the "Corsair CS750M Modular 80+ Gold" psu today but didnt get time, any reason you are going for the platinum model? its an extra $100
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 14-09-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      lll-Griffsta-lll
      Platinum is efficiency so when it's under load 50%-100% it will be able to draw more closer to the correct amount of watts. platinum warranties are 7-10 years vs 3-5 with gold

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Crying

Battlelog
      RudeKostry
      They apparently also cost less to run because they are more efficient, so if you run your pc all day then it could be worth getting platinum in the long run. But it wont do much better than gold.

Hairy as someone who went from an i5-4690k to the i7 6700k, it was totally worth it. Or listen to Deano and give us the money instead.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle
      Quote Originally Posted by DRZdeano View Post
      you could drop from the i7 down to i5 (6600k is the only unlocked i5) from what ive read the extra capabilities(cores?) of that chip are more used for CAD programs , not so much games.

tho it might be worth it if you intend to use video editing\rendering software

was about to buy the "Corsair CS750M Modular 80+ Gold" psu today but didnt get time, any reason you are going for the platinum model? its an extra $100
      I looked into this tonight, I was under the impression bigger is better. I will be changing to the i5 6600k.

My PSU is a bronze ATM and I have never had an issue, But I do like efficiency.