• Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • User Tag List

Collapse This Block

This Thread Has Been Closed

There has been no reason given for the thread being closed.

Thread: New Headphones Thread

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy

New Headphones Thread

Every now and then there seems to be a questions asked around advice on what headphones should you purchase, so I thought I would start a thread for people to reference in future if they are thinking of buying new headphones.

FIRST OF ALL MAKE SURE READ THE THREAD LINKED BELOW

Headphone thread on Cybergamer. The guy who wrote this knows his shit.

To summarise the thread...

Avoid anything that's marketed as "gaming" headphones.

Avoid anything marketed as 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.
      - 5.1/7.1 doesn't actually exist in headphones
      - There is no advantage in having 5.1/7.1 surround over 2.1 stereo
      - 6 drivers in a pair of $120 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headphones = 6x$10 drivers and a pricetag for gaming headphones.
      - 2 drivers in a pair of $120 2.1 Stereo headphones = 2x$50 drivers plus profit margin.
      - Drivers = speakers

Look for brands that use high quality drivers such as Sennheiser, AudioTechnica, or Beyerdynamic.

If you buy a really really good pair, you may want to think about buying a sound card to get the most out of your new cans.

Use price comparison websites such as www.staticice.com.au to find the best deals.

Ask SoV members in TS what they use, and what they think about them. Ask lots of questions!!
      Protip: everyone will say their headphones are the best so make sure you ask them what headphones they have used in the past and how they compare. If they haven't used any of the 3 brands mentioned above, I would doubt they have much experience in what good quality audio sounds like.

************************************************** ************************************************** *

Off reading the above linked thread on cybergamer, I bought myself some Audio Technica A900x headphones and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card.

THIS IS BY FAR, THE CHEAPEST AND BEST UPGRADE I HAVE MADE TO ANY PC TO IMPROVE MY GAME PLAY EXPERIENCE AND COMPETITIVE PERFORMANCE.

I used to own a pair of G35s (which I thought were good), when I upgraded and could not believe the difference it made (G35s are shit - sorry to anyone who owns them, but you are missing out if you think they are anywhere near good audio quality). When I tried my new setup for the first time it was like being fucked in the ear with a velvet condom. Everything is clearer, sounds are far easier to identify when there is a lot of action, and positional audio queues like character voices, footsteps, reloading was far far far easier to identify where they were coming from.
      Last edited by IamTriggerHappy; 15-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

2. The following users like this post: