Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squish's friendly post of need.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Crying

Battlelog
      RudeKostry

Squish's friendly post of need.

Looking at upgrading my pc but I don't really know what is good and worth buying atm. So if people could help out with suggestions for.. well.. everything, that would be great!

Currently the only thing I might keep is my i5 4690k cpu, but then an i7 6700k would be nice. Price isn't an issue as long as I can see it being worth it, so if you can convince me I might get 2 or 3 1080's..

Bonus points if anything is pink or rainbow.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Have you tried overclocking your CPU? if so, what speeds are you getting? If you can get something around 4.5Mhz stable then I'd stick with the i5. If you haven't yet tried to OC you might want to explore getting a decent cooler and trying it. If not, maybe the upgrade and starting new might be a fresh start.

I have just upgraded my GPU and PSU while OC my CPU for the first time. It feels like I have a brand new PC!!!

1080s are great (I just bought 1). SLI/Crossfire still hasn't fully been exploited by game devs who have yet to correctly scale games so you wont get the most out of both cards. You will get better performance than one card no doubt... but some may argue it would be overkill. Having said that, I am saving for my second one in a couple of months. lol

AMD have just released a top(ish) range of cards for cheap money (RX 480). They aren't anywhere near better than the 1080s but for the price of one 1080 you could deff buy 2 and crossfire the shit out of it, get similar performance and still have change in your pocket!!!

Nvidia is rumored to be announcing the 1080 TIs soon, so maybe wait for that to see if that shifts prices in the market.

Don't underestimate upgrading sound (sound card and good cans). Best upgrade imo.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

3. The following user likes this post:

Squish 

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      im in the market too, ive already bought 2 rx480s. for $400 less than one 1080 you can buy 2 rx480s. word of warning though, ive been having a few driver dramas since installing them. but it might be more related to the fact i havent upgraded my motherboard and cpu for 3 years and im getting some bottlenecks going on. The issues ive had iv'e also seen pop up on nvidia cards too. So i don't think its strictly a AMD thing, more of maybe a crossfire/ SLI thing.

Im looking at a 6700K as well. (ive currently got a 3770K)

If you were looking at keeping your other hardware you might have similar problems to me if you upgrade your GPU's and not the rest.

you may, or may be not interested in seeing what im looking at atm
      http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/J7668K

edit: oh and if anyone wants to chime in on my list feel free. Im aware that the CPU cooler and antec 1200 arent compatible according to the website btw...
      Last edited by Pirate_Radio; 17-08-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Radio View Post
      im in the market too, ive already bought 2 rx480s. for $400 less than one 1080 you can buy 2 rx480s. word of warning though, ive been having a few driver dramas since installing them. but it might be more related to the fact i havent upgraded my motherboard and cpu for 3 years and im getting some bottlenecks going on. The issues ive had iv'e also seen pop up on nvidia cards too. So i don't think its strictly a AMD thing, more of maybe a crossfire/ SLI thing.

Im looking at a 6700K as well. (ive currently got a 3770K)

If you were looking at keeping your other hardware you might have similar problems to me if you upgrade your GPU's and not the rest.

you may, or may be not interested in seeing what im looking at atm
      http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/J7668K

edit: oh and if anyone wants to chime in on my list feel free. Im aware that the CPU cooler and antec 1200 arent compatible according to the website btw...
      1. I'd recommend not getting windows 10 OEM, as you can only use the install key on one machine (if you later decide to change or upgrade parts). I personally make it a rule to never buy OEM as you never know what might happen.

2. I bought 32 GB of ram 2 years ago when i last updated my machine, and I've gotta say I've never seen more than 12GB of ram used at once (that was while hosting servers on my local PC, while playing the game im hosting for). I'd only recommend getting more than 16GB of ram if you're hosting some sort of servers or you're running virtual machines on the PC.

3. I'd also recommend a 240GB SSD instead of 120GB. It's handy to have your OS as well as a select few games that you love to play all on the SSD for faster load times, then have games that you don't regularly play on a secondary drive. 120GB isnt really enough for most larger games (such as battlefield or the division) as well as your OS these days.

4. Nvidia FTW (though im jealous of that crossfire)
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Radio View Post
      I'm looking at a 6700K as well. (ive currently got a 3770K)
      3770K is the same chip I have and I was recently thinking about upgrading to the 6700k. After some research, I found a lot of people were advising others in similar situations that the 3770k is still a great chip and you should think about overclocking rather than upgrading... I realise I'm harping on about it, but I really can't believe I didn't tackle it earlier. I had no previous experience or knowledge on OCing CPUs before I started, but found some great guides. Got my 3.5Mhz fac clock up to 4.6 stable with a closed system water cooler (like the one in your parts list) in my first hour of trying.

But then again, if you have the money to burn then why not!!

My other advise is to get the PSU as full modular for customisation later on. It's a great choice BTW... Other than that its pretty much fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BradenHeatAu View Post
      1. I'd recommend not getting windows 10 OEM, as you can only use the install key on one machine (if you later decide to change or upgrade parts). I personally make it a rule to never buy OEM as you never know what might happen.
      yep, steer clear of OEM

2. I bought 32 GB of ram 2 years ago when i last updated my machine, and I've gotta say I've never seen more than 12GB of ram used at once (that was while hosting servers on my local PC, while playing the game im hosting for). I'd only recommend getting more than 16GB of ram if you're hosting some sort of servers or you're running virtual machines on the PC.
      Extra RAM is good for rendering if you're into recording and uploading game play.

3. I'd also recommend a 240GB SSD instead of 120GB. It's handy to have your OS as well as a select few games that you love to play all on the SSD for faster load times, then have games that you don't regularly play on a secondary drive. 120GB isnt really enough for most larger games (such as battlefield or the division) as well as your OS these days.
      I agree, I'm always moving games around on my SSD and other HDDs depending on what im playing the most at the time.
      Last edited by IamTriggerHappy; 17-08-2016 at 04:22 PM.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      I should have also added, the HDDs and the tower and the peripherals in that list i already own and am not planning on updating. Windows 10 i already have as well and that item on the list is a place holder.

Speaking of the 3770K though, the 6700K apparently only adds 30% more power. So id agree with you that maybe i should OC it.

edit: the PSU i already own too. im mainly only looking at possibly upgrading the motherboard, CPU and Ram and adding a watercooler for the CPU (im using a stock intel fan on the chip atm)

The corsair should fit into my tower using this guide which is why im not concerned about the incompatability
      Last edited by Pirate_Radio; 17-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.

High Council
      BF Captain
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      XiSTNZ-HB
      As an owner of 3 SSD's I would highly recommend anyone that is looking at getting more to invest now and get a bigger one and save yourself the situation I am in currently, not enough sata ports to connect any more HDD's or my optical drive.

Highly recommend not using the stock coolers, the h100i is supposed to be awesome and should allow you to OC easily.

As heat and trigs have already said unless you plan to do RAM heavy things 16gb is easily enough. If you are doing video recording, rendering, server hosting etc then you can go with more but otherwise save the money and use it elsewhere.

I am not sure if I have done something wrong with my instillation of my sound card or I just dont notice its effect but for me it wasnt a massive upgrade, but pretty much everyone else that I know that has gotten one highly recommends them. (NOTE: you do need a decent set of headphones to take advantage of it)

NVidia is still the leader in GPU tech, so you need to decide whether you want to pay more for a bit higher performance per card or invest in multiple or save money by going AMD. Whilst I do prefer AMD's control over the GPU, I would go NVidia again when I upgrade.

Once you have the cooler I would suggest trying to OC and see if you like the feel, otherwise upgrade CPU. I am looking at OC'n mine soon.

Mobo is always a solid item to upgrade after a good few years, but if yours isnt showing any signs of wear and it still will work with your system, especially if you are sticking with the current CPU then stay with it for the moment, if you are upgrading CPU in the future then you could look at mobo upgrade as well.

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      ive hijacked this thread enough, ive decided im sticking with what i have now and am going to buy the water cooler and overclock my cpu.

i went with amd for 'bang for your buck' and that my monitor supports freesync

i see squishes cpu is similar to performance as mine, have u overclocked your cpu at all yet squish?
      Last edited by Pirate_Radio; 17-08-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Crying

Battlelog
      RudeKostry
      Your hijacking of this thread leads me to having more information about stuff.
      the H100i is what i was looking at as well, because as lost said "h100's coz its 2012 mang" #obscureasfuckreference

I have a $95 motherboard so i have not tried to overclock yet and heat issues from current 290x made me not want to atm. I did overclock my Q6600 back in the day so I am keen to try it again.

The main thing I am curious about is whether the ddr4 ram is worth it compared to ddr3 if I was to upgrade to a 6700k?

Then it is mainly flashy lights and shiny things.. Need to upgrade from my $35 case with sharp cuts in the harddrive bay to fit in graphics cards that have definitely not cut me in the past. Also cable management could be something to actually attempt rather than having cables holding back other cables from falling into the cpu fan.. Any tips?

High Council
      BF Captain
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      XiSTNZ-HB
      A good case goes a long way with cable management, then lots of cable ties or twizzle tags etc. Some cases have built in cable management systems (rubber clips etc) with extra room behind the back pannel

12. The following user likes this post:

Squish