Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano

GTX 460's 4 LYF

After being publicly laughed at and called a troll for trying to tell people they could still run BF1 on gtx460's , it would seem about time to think about a new rig.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cJJmD8

CPU : i5 6600k
      Cooling : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
      Mobo : ASRock Z170 Extreme6
      Ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
      GPU : ASUS ROG GTX 1060 Strix 6GB
      PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold
      Case : Inwin 303 Black
      $1552.98

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KdPN6X

CPU : i5 6600k
      Cooling : ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW 240L-W
      Mobo : ASRock Z170 Extreme6+
      Ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
      GPU : EVGA GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0
      PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      Case : Inwin 805 Black
      Total: $1815.00

updated again

Not having looked at computer parts for a while. Im amazed at how bad manufacturers are at naming things.

The only part i wont change is CPU, im flexible on others. Im just guessing that CPU cooler is enough tho. I don't plan on OC immediately but i want the option. Liquid cool is quieter yeh?

I did want a 1070 but... im sure we all do but budget was supposed to be $1000 - $1300 ....was...

I will be removing extra HDD's from my current rig. Also a new monitor would be nice , decent but cheap.

Im hoping this rig to last around 3-5 years. My 460's did ....

Any tips would be appreciated but dont go out of your way!
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 15-09-2016 at 12:03 AM.

High Council
      BF Captain
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      XiSTNZ-HB

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Your build list looks good, however I would probably look to get a cheaper mobo and maybe put the money into that 1070 you were hoping to get. ASRock mobos are great, but I'm not sold on the Fatal1ty line. (in case you dont know Fatal1ty was an old quake player... was a bit of a sped and didnt really stick around for too long). I'm basing this on nothing, but I kinda see the Fatal1ty mobos as mediocre range products w huge markups just coz of the name attached. Something like this will do just fine (and even then you could probably find some savings on this one. Just do some research before buying the Fatal1ty one.

As for monitor.... you gotta get a 144Hz. such a pity to see good hardware going to waste only pumping out 60Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by DRZdeano View Post
      Liquid cool is quieter yeh?!
      yes and no, liquid cooling still uses fans on radiators to cool the liquid... but temps don't get as high under load so the fans don't have to work as hard. It's a must if you want to OC to something decent.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      turns out you were right, the only difference was a Ethernet controller , the killer e2400 . Apparently its actually shit. Drivers causing lots of problems. The extreme6 still looks decent tho.

The killer's nic advantage is in traffic prioritization, apparently allows for a more tolerable game if torrenting and such. But it wont make it faster if its the only traffic you have. Also it requires extra software to run , causing issues.
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 11-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Crying

Battlelog
      RudeKostry
      Quote Originally Posted by DRZdeano View Post
      The only part i wont change is CPU, im flexible on others. Im just guessing that CPU cooler is enough tho. I don't plan on OC immediately but i want the option. Liquid cool is quieter yeh?
      Look them up on youtube and you should be able to see how loud they are.

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      Quote Originally Posted by Squish View Post
      you should be able to see how loud they are.
      are you trying to make a funny? :P

anyway it would seem liquid cooling is an unnecessary expense , i can get adequate performance from a much cheaper fan.

Not 100% sold on the Asus ROG 1060. It is up to $50-70 more expensive than other 1060s. The EVGA also has same problem. I am currently using Gainward cards ...which haven't been perfect. Major issues with running them in SLI. And even the factory OC settings on them create instability.

I could still possibly downsize the mobo for cost maybe even go back to my first choice for ram. But that would only be to fund the 1070 instead.
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 11-09-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      no i havnt brought anything yet.... volt hasn't given his input yet

i want quality core parts (RAM and MOBO) but i guess that comes at the expense of 1060/1070

silence is not a huge thing, im just sick of hearing the two 460's wind up just to load game menus. those noctua fans kinda look ugly, imo. And more $.

Any reason you think i need the 750w? Im not running SLI. There is no optical drive and at most id be running 1-3 HDD's. It seems like a good place to cut unnecessary costs.

Im happy with the ASrock mobo

ASRock Extreme 6+ $260
      ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming $231 - not quite as good as ASrock
      Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 $229 - reliable but less features
      MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X $239 - eh notthing special

only thing im still unsure about is which 1060 to get. Not a big fan of AMD and Radeons. For the price point i want yes they are probably the best fit but im unreasonably stubborn on this for some no reason.
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 11-09-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      Kamaji63
      Just my 2 cents
      RAM:
      I'm not sold on the ram you picked, you could be saving at least 60$+ with ones that have lower speeds and still do the same job. Your original choice of ram would've save you at least 40$+ which could be spent on getting a better gpu.
      GPU: Not entirely sure which card you want, if you wanted bang for buck a RX480 would be good that would save you $$$. If you choose to get cheaper ram then a 1070 would be an alternative to the RX480.
      MOBO: Decent mobo choice but, could find slightly cheaper alternatives that also do the same thing.
      CPU Cooler: If you are going for silence I'd recommend the Noctua NH-U14S if not then this one is ok. My only tip would be is don't use the fan that comes with it, it makes too much noise.
      PSU: Don't skimp out on these. I would recommend getting the 750w variant.

Note: Have you bought anything yet?

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      My opinions:
      Motherboard: Overkill, you can spend about half the money and pretty much only be missing some USB 3.1 ports
      RAM: Overkill, in terms of better FPS is games money would be better spent on the GPU
      GPU: regardless of if you go for a 1060 or 1070, EVGA is good, I have also heard good shit about the ASUS strix coolers
      CPU cooler: Good as long as you don't want massive over clocks
      PSU: 650 watts is more than enough for a normal person

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      ive downgraded the ram/mobo so i can fit the 1070 and still be under $1600.

not sure if i like going with the cheap mobo , i would miss out on all these goodies

Spoiler Spoiler - Click to View

so extra $100 will get me a board more capable for overclocking , a slightly better onboard audio and a secondary SATA3 controller. + some USB 3.1 ports

im gonna try and get the more expensive board, if i wasnt planning on OC in future i could reduce the CPU ( i5 6500) and get one already with a fan saving $115.

$1660 to be able to OC ( i should probably spend another $50 on the cpu cooling for this option $1710)
      $1450 to leave stock.

~17% more $$ , is a stable 17% OC reasonable to expect?
      Last edited by DRZdeano; 11-09-2016 at 09:53 PM.