Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker

Audio, Microphones, and You

Hey guys,

I’ve recently noticed that there are a few people within our community who have less than ideal audio setups, which often leads to frustration when having to listen to garbled background noise.

This post is meant to serve as a reference point for people to optimise their setups so that they minimise disruption while on our voice servers; you should double check points highlighted below to ensure that you aren’t causing any issues. There are a couple of tweaks I have included below that everyone should ensure that they have applied.

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to add to anything I have said below, please respond so that we can have a nice bank of information everyone can reference to come the release of Battlefield 1.

Windows Sound Settings
      Right-clicking on the sound icon in your taskbar should give you the option to access Recording devices. Within this dialog box, you can see all of the devices Windows recognises as being able to record sound.

Accessing the properties menu for your device allows you to customise the sensitivity, adjustments, and other miscellaneous options in order to minimise disruption while online with others.

While on the properties dialog, you can adjust the audio level your microphone transmits at by accessing the Levels tab. This is essential to do when setting up your microphone as it ensures that others do not have to adjust your volume level on their end. Additionally, if you find that your microphone struggles to pick up audio properly, you can boost the level it transmits at to ensure that you come through at an appropriate level.

Another essential tweak on the properties dialog, is under the Advanced tab where you can allow applications to take control of your device. By having this enabled, it can cause issues where your volume level fluctuates due to different programs attempted to enforce their own settings onto it. You should disable this option so that you don’t run into such an issue.

Lastly for this section, under the sound settings dialog box there is a tab called Communications. This tab is the source for a really annoying tweak Windows applies when it detects what it considers a phone call coming through your audio. Basically, once it detects this "phone call", it reduces the volume of your audio output. Set the option on this screen to Do Nothing.

Teamspeak Sound Settings
      Right-clicking on Settings > Options > Capture will bring up your teamspeak audio settings. If you are using voice activation, you will need to adjust your levels. Hit begin test and speak. You want to set the level around 5-10 below the volume of your voice. Having this set too low will allow unintended transmission through. All audio setups are unique, so ensure that you find an appropriate level that does not transmit background noise.

If you are using push to talk, make sure you turn on “Voice activation Detection While Using Push-To-Talk”. This will cut out a lot of unwanted noise as it combines push to talk with voice activation, adding another level of protection against transmitting white noise.

Suggested Headsets/Microphones Setups
      There are a large number of recording devices that one can use while on teamspeak; it all comes down to personal preference, setup, and budget. Below are a few examples of standalone microphones that can be considered for use (useful if you want to get a pair of headphones and require a separate recording device).

Zalman Microphone ZM-MIC 1 ($12)
      https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...hone-zm-mic-1/

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone Silver ($179)
      https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...ophone-silver/

Blue Microphones Yeti Pro USB Microphone ($365)
      https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...usb-microphone

Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 Open Air Gaming Headset ($239)
      https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...gaming-headset

SteelSeries Siberia 200 Gaming Headset - White ($110)
      https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ste...-white-ab69637

Sennheiser GSP 300 Over-ear Gaming Headset ($180)
      https://www.mwave.com.au/product/sen...eadset-ab86810

Pop Filter (~ $10) - Recommended if you use a dedicated microphone
      https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Studio...3684983&sr=1-1
      Last edited by Voltstriker; 25-09-2016 at 10:21 PM.
      Voltstriker | Head of Clan Systems & Servers | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

2. The following users like this post:

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      I've set up my mic based on your pointers but if we're still having drama's mate there's nothing I can do. I'm not in any financial situation to buy a microphone, and even if I was I'm not going to spend more money on a new microphone for my already expensive headset.
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle
      I don't think your mic has ever had an issue heat. Anyone that has major issues would have been contacted. As High council its our responsibility to ensure everyone does there best to not transmit annoying background noise. Besides, you have The Voice of an Angel
      Spoiler Spoiler - Click to View
      Last edited by Hairy_Eagle; 26-09-2016 at 04:46 PM.
      Hairy_Eagle | Head of Recruitment | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

5. The following user likes this post:

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker
      Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Eagle View Post
      I don't think your mic has ever had an issue heat. Anyone that has major issues would have been contacted. As High council its our responsibility to ensure everyone does there best to not transmit annoying background noise. Besides, you have The Voice of an Angel
      Spoiler Spoiler - Click to View
      Damn hes a big boi

Quote Originally Posted by BradenHeatAu View Post
      I've set up my mic based on your pointers but if we're still having drama's mate there's nothing I can do. I'm not in any financial situation to buy a microphone, and even if I was I'm not going to spend more money on a new microphone for my already expensive headset.
      Please don't take my post as a attack on anyone, it was not intended to be so. I am not forcing anyone to re-buy a microphone or a setup in any way. The post was intended to be a starting point for people who utilise voice activation on a regular basis to ensure they aren't a problem in a full channel of people.

The thing that is tiring to deal with (and I know others can relate to this), is listening to key clicks, chair squeaks, rage after every little thing over and over again with nothing in the way to prevent it. I don't think anyone has an issue with the occasional sound or key click coming through, however, it is repeat offenders that drive me up the wall. It is even worse when everyone is trying to play a game together, call strats, and work towards a win and you have a single person with a horrible setup smashing their keys at intense moments.

At the end of the day, myself and everyone else on the leadership team don't want to have to pull someone aside and tell them that we are enforcing PTT on their accounts. We have great respect for everyone in this clan and try to abstain from exercising any form of power whenever possible (except Hairy, he is corrupt as hell). However, it is times like these when situations are beginning to crop up more and more frequently that we do have to say something.

If you find that you are playing with others and you are transmitting background noise on a regular basis, maybe consider switching to push-to-talk. While hard to get used to at first, it reduces the need for posts such as these by 100%.

If anyone has any issues with anything that I have said please feel free to let me know.
      Voltstriker | Head of Clan Systems & Servers | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

7. The following user likes this post:

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      Quote Originally Posted by Voltstriker View Post
      Please don't take my post as a attack on anyone.
      What the fuck you say? You wanna fucking fight me mate?

9. The following users like this post:

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker
      Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
      What the fuck you say? You wanna fucking fight me mate?
      What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

11. The following users like this post:

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      So in the Macca's car park will do?

13. The following users like this post:

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Donator