Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Meh

Lightbulb Geo's PC - Upgrade Advice

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading the PC and looking into whether to:

1. Upgrade just the GPU
      2. Upggrade the CPU and the GPU
      3. Upgrade Other components as well as (1 or 2)

Details of my system are below;

Antec 300 case - This is a bit small and could do with an upgrade to a full tower.
      Antec 1200W truepower quattro power supply - This is pretty good, but would be better if the cables were modular
      Asus Rampage 4 formula - I guess this would need an upgrade if the CPU I moved didn't fit this socket, would prefer that if I upgrade the system that the mobo and Ram could stay the same.
      G.skill 2400mhz ripjawsz 16g- runs well, no problems in general
      Intel i7-3930k- ??

Gigabyte GF GTX 680 PCI-E 3.0 2GB 256-bit DDR5 - ??

Kingston sv200s37a - 128gb SSD (OS) -
      Kingston SH103S3120G - 256gb SSD (FPS Games) -
      WD20EARX-00PASB0 - 2Tb (Other Games) -

Corsair K60 - Noisy for TS, but love the feel of these keys

Rocket Kone XTD - Nice for most games

Can you offer any advice?

Geo

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      Be careful what you wish for... i changed from a corsair hx1000 to the modular version and uses far more and far uglier cables. i wish i bought the original because its standard cable mesh was prettier and tidier.

i think budget has a large part to do with your choice. start there.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      lll-Griffsta-lll
      If it were me personally I'd just upgrade the graphics to the GTX 1080, all the rest of the components seem fine. I also run the same generation of CPU the 2011 socket. Sure there are going to be better CPU's out there with bits of performances increases but i just don't see it. You already have a 6 core Intel processor, moving to one of the later 2011v3 processors say the 6900K sure you get another 2 core but what do you use those cores for if your not really using 2 of the 6 cores you currently have. If your all about PC gaming then just upgrade your graphics card.

Moving to a later generation motherboard you'll see M.2 sure 1000mb/s+ transfer is great but what are the real world performance gains?

then you also have DDR4 vs the DDR3 you currently have probably and increased latency too.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      Kamaji63
      Just my 2 cents. I agree with Pirate, it all comes down to budget since you don't want to put a hole in your wallet. I upgraded my entire setup about 8 months ago from a 800$ potato.

PSU: As with what Pirate said that some PSU modular cables are ugly AF. I own an EVGA Supanova G2 750w that came with sleeved cables so I didn't have to worry about it.
      CPU: How well does it run current gen games? You could possibly oc your current cpu and get that extra, but if you end up upgrading the cpu might as well go the full length and upgrade the mobo too.
      GPU: RX470/480 good bang for budget cards. GTX 1070/1080 if you can fit it in your budget.
      Case: It all comes down to budget and space. There are lots of really good case option out there, its your preference if you want silence optimised, water cooling room, or all out beast of a machine.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Meh

Thanks guys. Lots of good responses.
      I guess the ideal budget would be max 1500 on all upgrades.

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      I would recommend just upgrading the GPU to a 1080 (about $1100). If you want a new case I would recommend the Fractal Define R5 (about $160) very easy to build in, has room for radiators and all that shit. Corsair HX850i 850W PSU (about $250) would be more than enough modular and pretty sure it just has plain black cables, so should look alright.

I don't think upgrading in order to get an M.2 SSD would be worth it as you will see more of a benefit in a new GPU rather than booting up in 5 seconds instead of 12.

7. The following user likes this post:

Recruit
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      B1indGunn3r
      Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
      I would recommend just upgrading the GPU to a 1080 (about $1100). If you want a new case I would recommend the Fractal Define R5 (about $160) very easy to build in, has room for radiators and all that shit. Corsair HX850i 850W PSU (about $250) would be more than enough modular and pretty sure it just has plain black cables, so should look alright.

I don't think upgrading in order to get an M.2 SSD would be worth it as you will see more of a benefit in a new GPU rather than booting up in 5 seconds instead of 12.
      To be honest i reckon the 1080 is overkill for battlefield, in my opinion the game is more CPU intensive over the GPU. Dont get me wrong though Zero, it is great to have a decent card however there are many decent mid-high range cards that Geo can buy at half the price.

Your sweet for CPU and RAM bud its just the GPU that is holding your rig back. I am looking to buy one of these bad boys https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...480-gtr-oc-8gb about a 1/3 of the price of the 1080 with more than enough memory and clock speed for smooth gameplay

Anyways thats just my opinion

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      im crossfiring 2 rx480s and im playing in ultra at about 100 fps

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      Quote Originally Posted by B1indGunn3r View Post
      To be honest i reckon the 1080 is overkill for battlefield, in my opinion the game is more CPU intensive over the GPU. Dont get me wrong though Zero, it is great to have a decent card however there are many decent mid-high range cards that Geo can buy at half the price.

Your sweet for CPU and RAM bud its just the GPU that is holding your rig back. I am looking to buy one of these bad boys https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...480-gtr-oc-8gb about a 1/3 of the price of the 1080 with more than enough memory and clock speed for smooth gameplay

Anyways thats just my opinion
      Depends what he wants out of his game. If he is going for 1080p 60fps, then a 480 will do the job. If he wants 120+ fps on Ultra at 1080p, or a higher resolution then a more powerful GPU would be better, maybe not a 1080, but since he seems to have made a high end PC about 3 years ago, I was assuming he likes to go overboard.

11. The following users like this post:

High Council
      BF Captain
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      XiSTNZ-HB
      Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
      I was assuming he likes to go overboard.
      Me with every pc build I do, budget for 1800-2200. End up at 3200 cause of gradual creep and slight upgrades everywhere

13. The following users like this post: