• Wtf
  • User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back after hiatus...need new GPU..old gear tho - need help

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

so to get the ball rolling - does this PCCG bundle Zero shared above seem like a good deal ?
      https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...-gaming-bundle

i like the specs of the CPU...research on the mobo seems like it'll do the job.

and the same components are more expensive elsewhere so it does seem like a good deal for those specific components.
      even with a 7500k elsewhere the bundle is still cheaper.

I'm considering picking up the bundle - looks like stocks still available.

Assuming i get this bundle, In terms of the rest of the kit - :
      * GPU - seems a toss-up between a GTX1060 or RX480 - gotta do more research so feel free to chip in your 2c's to help a brutha out..
      * Case - nfi there's so many damn options there so gotta research..any recommendations (got fractal design from Zero so far)
      * PSU - TOssing up whether i use my old Antec 750w in this new build...i know 750w is abit of overkill but got it cheap from a contact at the time...it's a couple years old should i just get new stuff all round?
      * fans/memory/others - will look at em later...

Oh one more question - my intent is to get someone else to do the actual build/install for me so i'll just be sourcing most/all of the components.
      Would it make more sense to source everthing from a single source and get them to build (e.g. umart) or fine to source components from anywhere?
      Last edited by Splinter; 30-04-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      Kamaji63
      Bundle:
      Depends what you're planning to use if for. If its just for gaming then it'd be fine. You have room to upgrade depending on the contents of the motherboard.

PSU: Get a new one. old one could shit itself in your new build. Use the old one in a HTPC build.

GPU: Your preference I guess. I prefer Nvidia cards for their cuda cores. Since I use it for rendering.

Building PC:
      Places like umart will charge premium pricing for them to build your system. You're better off doing it yourself so that you learn or getting a friend to help build it and guide. Thats my 2cents about that topic. You can source them from anywhere as long as it isn't dodgy.

My 2cents.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      That CPU/Mobo/RAM bundle zero linked is a great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
      * GPU - seems a toss-up between a GTX1060 or RX480 - gotta do more research so feel free to chip in your 2c's to help a brutha out..
      This is one of the better cheaper 1060's, if you get one below this one they'll either be mini or 3gb. If you get a 3GB card to save yourself $50-100, it wont last as long in regards to performance over time but that's up to you (newer games needing more dedicated ram, etc). Also Intel and Nvidia were made for each other i'm an nvidia fanboy soz

* PSU - TOssing up whether i use my old Antec 750w in this new build...i know 750w is abit of overkill but got it cheap from a contact at the time...it's a couple years old should i just get new stuff all round?
      Your PSU should be fine man

* Case - nfi there's so many damn options there so gotta research..any recommendations (got fractal design from Zero so far)
      This corsair case will fit most GPU's and the ATX board in the budle Zero linked (the only corsair ones cheaper than this one won't fit the Motherboard from what I've read into their specs). I'm also a little bit of a corsair fanboy soz not soz

Would it make more sense to source everthing from a single source and get them to build (e.g. umart) or fine to source components from anywhere?
      I'm not sure a company like PCCG/Umart/etc would put this together for you as they do their own pre-built systems especially if you got it from different companies, you'd have to ring them and ask if it's possible (they'll most likely charge a service fee). If it's a friend putting it together, than just get the cheapest offers you can (but take into account that most places will charge slightly less for more items being posted at once, eg 5 items from pccg would maybe cost $50 shipping, and then like 1 item from umart would be like 20 shipping)
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      For GPU, GTX 1060 or RX580 are pretty much the same for performance in games. Just make sure you get a 6/8GB card which ever one you choose.

You will need a cooler for your cpu. Pretty much work out how much you have to spend on it then go with something from Cooler Master, Corsair, noctua or Silverstone in that price range.

If you are giving the old PC to the family get a new PSU. I like corsair, but pretty much any name brand is good. I would go for the 500-750 watt range. Get something modular so it is easier to work with.

As for extras you might want to think about:
      An M.2 SSD (Mobo should support it, just need to make sure you get an NVME on rather than a SATA one) but this is not at all necessary.
      New monitor? if you are on an old 60hz monitor maybe think of upgrading to 144hz maybe even Gsync/FreeSync. (Depending on your GPU)

If you have a mate who is going to build it for you, then buy your shit where ever it is the cheapest but probably stick to PCCG, UMart and MSY if you don't give a fuck about customer service or a usable website. If you get your shit from somewhere that will assemble your PC, it will probably cost about $80-150.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Thanks lads for the solid information - given me lots to work with.

however i think i'll pause my excited build considerations, gotta sit back and review what my budget could be for a build like this.

i'm looking at the 1300-1500 mark now for these components if i did go with the bundle. i'd hope to have something ideally for under $1000 that does the job but may not blow my mind per se....

so i have to see what i can get for that range, vs paying a few hundred bucks more and going to say the 1,300 level...and i haven't done that comparison yet, because i honestly thought i could re-use my existing gear and just replace the GPU to buy me a little more time with my existing PC....so i hadn't really planned on a build yet, hence no thoughts about budget and like
      Last edited by Splinter; 01-05-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

so hey i've been reading further into what GPU's may be compatible with my MOBO and it seems i may have been mistaken earlier thinking only up to 700series can work on my mobo...it seems people have been able to get 900's and 1060's even working fine...
      http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2560400

i've been trying hard to look further at what GPU's may run on my existing rig but not getting clear answers because most people are talking about P55A series, whereas mine is P55 - not sure if that makes a big enough difference or not.

Can i get some help/guidance on assessing what could fit into my existing mobo/case? i hate to keep asking questions i should be able to find via online research myself, but i did try hard but just not getting clear answers..

Mobo - Gigabyte P55 UD3 DDR3
      Case- Lian Li Lancool PC-K58

mobo specs are here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/45...page=10#manual

Case specs are here: http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/...ndex=62&g=spec

i get the sense my mobo has the right slots and what-not, but again no clear gauge to what is actually workable on it..sorry for the derp questions - as you can tell i'm pretty much a nub when it comes to pc building

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      For about $1000 you can still get a pretty good PC, but if you can use your old shit with a 1060 that is also great. Then you could just get that, then upgrade the rest when you actually have the money for it. You should still probably think about upgrading the rest in the near future anyway, as it is getting quite old now and you will see a difference if you upgraded it.

8. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      I've honestly never heard of a motherboard not having compatibility for a graphics card unless it doesn't have a PCIE 16x slot. Your PCIE 16x slot is generation 2 (with modern computers running on generation 3) so as far as I'm aware you can buy a newer graphics card, however the second generation PCIE slot will bottleneck its performance. So you should be able to just buy like a 1060/580 and then upgrade the rest of your computer when you're able to.

Also mate figuring out specs on which GPU will fit your case is real simple shit that you should already know by the link you provided us, and unless you choose which GPU you want we won't know if it'll fit into your case. Every graphics card will have specifications of lengthxwidthxheight, and the link you provided here shows at the bottom "Maximum Compatibility", and then to the right of that "VGA Card length:: 440mm". So as long as its shorter than that and you can look into your case and see plenty of room above/below and to the side of the gpu (facing the case door) you shouldn't have any problems.
      Last edited by BradenHeatAu; 01-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

10. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

You guys are legends. I'll definitely be able to check gpu fit on case you're right...derp!

But yeah I would like to try to get more out of my existing gear if I'm able to...I'll definitely need to upgrade soon but if I can avoid the project until I absolutely need to I'll use the dosh elsewhere atm

12. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Also just feedback re Umart building pc's etc which we discussed earlier in this thread. Whilst i'm not doing a full build right now, i'd emailed them asking the question and they clarified:

1) They do custom builds for $95
      2) they will still do builds if you provide some of the components from elsewhere (but i imagine the fine print would need at least some components purchased from Umart...would have to clarify at the time)
      3) they will also do software installs like OS/Office etc if you purchase the software from them.

And they will also help guide parts selection and putting the pc together, setting up budgets ...which seems pretty good service and i'll likely tap into it when i do inevitably do a full build , likely later this year or whenever my other components die.

Thought i'd share

14. The following user likes this post: