Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back after hiatus...need new GPU..old gear tho - need help

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Back after hiatus...need new GPU..old gear tho - need help

Hi Peeps,

So haven't been around for the last few months due to work, travel and GPU shitting itself a while back and me throwing in the towel.

I hear i'll get NBN in my area in the next month so it's motivated me back to PC gaming starting with a new card. (i was living on 2-3mbs dload speeds so it was a depressing time).

my dilemma though the rest of my setup is pretty old...built this originally back in 2012 i think. I've since upgraded RAM, PSU and peripherals, but mobo/cpu/case is still original

Mobo:Gigabyte P55 UD3 DDR3
      CPU- Intel i5 750 (2.67hz i think)
      PSU - ANTEC HCG 750W
      RAM -12GB Gskillz Ripjaw

Case- Lian Li Lancool PC-K58
      GPU - [GTX560 - dead]

I'd like to make use of my existing components and avoid a full pc rebuild...but my mobo being as old as it is, limits my options.

Looking online people seem to say my mobo can support the GTX760,but other places say only up to the 600..which is a little disappointing as i was hoping for a bit of an upgrade to the GPU once my old card died..

There's also the dilemma of how much life i'll get out of the mobo/cpu before they too need replacing...if i buy a low-end card now due to mobo limitations, then i spec up my other gear and have the opportunity to get a better GPU...not sure if my case may even be big enough for the more powerful cards...

argh!! anyway thought i'd reach out to y'all who know more in this space than i ever will.

Budget - $300 or thereabouts .

* UPDATE - so based on feedback i will go with a new build. Cheers braden/zero/kamaji . *
      Last edited by Splinter; 30-04-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      For $300 you're not going to be able to do much mate, new gpu at best. only cards I can find in the 700 series that aren't from eBay are here but the best you'll get is a 750ti which is already blown out of the water by gpu's two generations ahead of the 700 series.

Cpu/Mobo/RAM/GPU all need an upgrade and I suspect with how old your PC is your HDD/ssd will need one too. The problem is your budget.

Games released pretty much after 2010 have become very CPU intensive and that old CPU probably won't cut it for a whole lot longer, Mobo will also need to be replaced because of this as a new cpu will have a new socket #, and ram will also need to be changed because I'm pretty sure all the new mobo's are DDR4 now. With how old your setup is I'm suspecting you have a HDD which is on the side of about 5 years old? Look into replacing this soon, SSD's have become quite cheap in regards to GB/$.

Your case, PSU, peripherals, etc should be fine thats all personal stuff, just make sure if you do get a new graphics card you check your cases specs to make sure the graphics card can fit, GPU's are getting pretty big these days.
      Last edited by BradenHeatAu; 22-04-2017 at 06:45 PM.
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

3. The following users like this post:

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      As Heat said, you can't do much with $300. If you buy new, they best you will get is 750Ti, if you trust second hand maybe a 780Ti? If you don't have the money now and you want to jump back into shit, get a 750Ti. But with the new ryzen 5 CPU's and a 1050 you could make a pretty decent pc for like 600-750 and reuse the case and psu.
      Last edited by Zero; 22-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.

5. The following user likes this post:

XiSTNZ 

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Dang nabbit...was afraid y'all would say that...

the $300 was only on the premise that i could re-use my existing components and get by with a card.

But looks like i need a new mobo/cpu/gpu combo after all...which would essentially be a mini-rebuild i guess then.

My case is a little small so i will indeed have to see what will fit in it....
      haven't yet researched CPU/Mobo's so will look into them - and recommendations?

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      You will also need new RAM because everything uses DDR4 now.

As for recommendations that will depend on your budget.

For $700-ish Ryzen 5 1400, any cheap AM4 Mobo, a GTX 1050Ti and 8GB of RAM.

For $1000-ish Ryzen 5 1600, AM4 Mobo around $150-180, GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580, 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD if you don't already have one. Could swap the cpu for an i5 7600 if you prefer Intel.

For $1300-ish PCCG has a i5 7600K bundle thing with Mobo and RAM, then add a GTX 1070 and an SSD.

Case will be up to you, I like Fractal Design Cases.

8. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      Kamaji63
      Your new build comes down to preference and budget. I personally prefer the skylake stuff over the kaby lake(just a rebadge), but since places like Mwave, PCCG and PLE have them at higher prices than the last gen stuff or don't stock them anymore from memory. So you would be looking at either Kabylake or Ryzen.

10. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

I'm sure you're speaking English kamaji so I think I'll google most of what you just said!

Those bundle things look pretty neat zero I didn't know one could get them like that...seems exactly what I need so I'll do some research.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

So I have an alternative question...say Go the full sha-bang and get the new build entirely...it sounds like the only thing I can salvage from my existing rig is my PSU and SSD really...
      I'll probably get a new case since its pretty tiny wouldn't fit the bigger cards

What can I do with my old components...Salvage sell or no point since I won't get anything for it?

Would it make sense buy an El cheapo low grade card and PSU and run this old rig as a second pc for home until it completely carks it?

I mean, the rest of the stuff still works, just the Gpu currently..I've got some old peripherals that'd work and a spare hdd which I can bung into it....such a shame to waste away
      Last edited by Splinter; 24-04-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      you could put together your old parts and make a media server for your home (no gpu needed), stream movies and stuff off of it. I cant really imagine the need for a second pc, unless you're using it for work/kids
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

14. The following user likes this post:

Zero 

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

yeah 2nd pc is a bit of a luxury but it'll give my wife and daughter a different pc to use instead of my gaming unit...

(they always mess with my chair/mouse/keyboard and drives me nuts. )

i already have a NAS which i use for media streaming, but we've got netflix recently and also chromecast to stream from mobile devices...means the media server never gets used anymore...

16. The following users like this post: