• User Tag List

Thread: Help on quote for upgrades

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Help on quote for upgrades

hi y'all,

mobo has carked it so doing a bit of an upgrade.

received a quote for the below from the tech guy who i took my pc to for repair. , wanted to get your thoughts/recommendations and whether the components seem reasonable or whether there are alternatives.

I'm not after the top-of-the range stuff, would be happy with reasonable. i rarely game much lately (mainly coz PC has been playing up) but would like to be able to game when i want to with reasonable quality.

CPU - i5-8400 (4ghz) -- (does this seem lick overclocked speeds?) - $299 (umart - $289)
      Mobo - Gigabyte Z370 HD3 - $189 (Umart quoted $179
      RAM - Gskillz 8GB DDR4 - $139
      OS - Win10 pro OEM - $129 (i was previously still on Win 7)
      Labour - $179

Total = $935

my PSU (750w) GPU (gtx1060) and peripherals (corsair brown switches, zowie fk1, benq xl2411) are all fine as they were upgraded not long ago.

Any thoughts much appreciated. trying to ensure i'm :
      1) not going overboard in components . FOr instance would a lesser CPU be just as good and lesser mobo?
      2) make sure prices are reasonable. they seem to be RRP so i imagine i'd only get a few bucks here and there off it.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Secret

Labour? Do it yourself?

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Tired

Battlelog
      HeatIsBad
      I have no idea why you're paying for labour. Sure you'd only save $5-10 on each part from buying it yourself but then you'd also save $179 in labour costs for 1-2 hours work depending on how competent you are with lego.

I never recommend OEM operating systems for this reason as when the motherboard goes you lose your OS license because OEM gets tied to computer components (even though EULA doesn't specifically state it, there's tons of misinformation about this subject). The only drawback is it's twice as much for a non OEM version of windows.

The Intel i5-8400 has 6 cores/threads a cache of 9MB, and a base clock of 2.8GHz with a boost clock of 4.0GHz (which is activated under certain conditions, so not guaranteed to be running @ 4.0GHz at all times). It's a pretty good i-5 CPU compared to even just 3 years ago and getting something cheaper wouldn't save you much unless you wanted to go for an i-3 (but I wouldn't even wish that upon valzo).

All in all its a pretty standard set up these days and I don't think you're going overboard. You could probably get a slightly cheaper motherboard if you really wanted to get some more money off the upgrade. I wouldn't recommend down grading the CPU as its going to be for gaming not just general use, maybe someone else here can offer some information on an AMD CPU/Mobo as i don't look into them as they're not my preferred brand (amd sux and is for poor people lmao long live the king intel)

TL;DR - Do it yourself and save $200 instead of paying for someone else to do it
      I would tell you a joke about UDP, but you probably wouldn't get it.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Labour only because I havenít done a build myself just bolted on replacements.

Nervous about doing it right etc etc.

I guess I could look at YouTube vids etc and have a crack myself. Just figured I should get it done right

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Secret

Ask around to see if you have any friends who can help you out. That's quite a bit of money to be putting realistically just two main parts together and attaching them to a case.

Only way to learn is by doing it yourself, its a hell of a lot cheaper, take it slow. You'll learn a new skill.

Advisory Council
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      zerosperfectwrld
      You should do it yourself, PC components only go in one way so you won't fuck it up unless you are trying to.

At this point in time I think that a Ryzen 5 1500X($239) is probably better value for money as you are able to get a cheaper mobo($80 for cheap shit about $120 if you want to OC more if you want some fancy shit) and it has pretty similar performance to an i5.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Terry Crews recently and very publicly built a gaming PC from scratch with his son...

It's a great story how he used it as a way to connect to his son who was into gaming and watching Twitch streamers.

If he can do it, anyone can! No offence Mr Crews if you are reading this.
      Last edited by IamTriggerHappy; 1 Week Ago at 11:25 AM.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

8. The following user likes this post:

XiSTNZ