Thread: Camelot Unchained

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      I_Silk_I

Camelot Unchained

Hi all,

A recently crowd funded MMORPG is currently under development by Mark Jacobs (Creator and naming rights owner of Dark Age of Camelot) with a small indie based team of ~20.

The game looks extremely promising, given MJ's approach to game design and implementation. Majority of the team participated in DAoC and Warhammer Online, which both in my opinion were awesome games.

It is based on tri-realm RvR (mass world pvp, keeps, etc) in a post apocalyptic King Arthur age, with elements of sandbox style (Minecraft) housing/construction building ability.

Check it out. (not to be released until 2015, but, I enjoy watching their development streams on twitch)

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

Silk

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Likealoon
      looks like a great concept!

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      I_Silk_I
      Everything about what they are doing makes sense. There isn't a producer looking over their shoulders making them hurry things along or short-changing things they really want to implement.. It sounds fun to be honest. EA (I know right) destroyed a lot of the concepts MJ had planned for Warhammer Online and he actually quit Mythic over it.

This is just something that I like which emulates how much thought they are actually putting into it, not only the design, but the ease of patches, updates and additional content in the future.

"Our biggest accomplishment in Sprint 4 was pulling together our entire editor, build system, database, patch server, and patch client into a fully working pipeline. Anyone can now grab the patcher with a minimal install, run it, and then download/update the game’s assets into a working game client that connects to the Camelot Unchained server.

Since our editor and patcher are connected together into a single pipeline, an artist or designer can make a change to a model or piece of the world and have it immediately built and downloaded directly into the patchers currently running on their own machines, their immediate workgroup, or even the beta or live game (with appropriate safeguards, of course). This isn’t just about sending people data files (that’s easy). It’s about how we work, and being agile both internally and externally so we can respond quickly to what’s going on in the LIVE game. While this may not sound like something all that special at the moment, it is truly a very powerful tool for us both internally and externally. I wish we had this type of system in-place when Dark Age of Camelot went LIVE. It would have made things so much easier."

Mood:
      Awesome

Battlelog
      BogzillaR
      it looks good hopefully will be very similar to DoaC

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      I_Silk_I
      I'm hoping so. RvR is where it's at...

Waiting on more details for their crafting/building and combat systems... Which are apparently being released soonish.