Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy

BF4 Servers

Ok, so here it is....

Lets discuss all things BF4 servers. This includes server size (possible formats), and server providers.

Public Server
      HC thinking is that we purchase a server tailored for the large formats. So 64 players plus a commander for each team PLUS 2 spectator slots (if SoV server admins need to log in to check players before issuing slay/kicks/bans)

This means we would need to purchase a 68 player server.

Gameservers.com $88.35
      Hypernia $85
      AUSgamers $68

I personally think we should continue with gameservers as a provider. Even though their servers have been less than reliable their tech support has been pretty bloody good and we have seen some major improvements after their lead technician look at our server.

Private Server
      HC have had no thoughts or discussions about a private server as no information on competition formats have been announced.

sooooo.... DISCUSS
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

High Council
      BF Captain
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      XiSTNZ-HB
      Agree with the 68 slot, and i think we should stay with gameservers, if we have issues, we can say to them that its not acceptable and can move to someone else.

as mentioned private server will be determined on comp formats. but i think we should have room for 4 spectators. so if the format is 10v10 + commander that will be 22 people plus the 4 observers, so a 26 slot would be required at minimum. but i think we should wait until we see what format it is, unless we get some bonus about pre ordering then i would go with a ~32p server which we can open to public until we decide on the format.

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      I assume we're aiming for popularity here. So what Xistnz is suggesting allows for the the most popular server size with extra flexibility. I heard however, that servers have slots separate for observers, so that you don't need to set aside server spaces. About staying with your current provider, I've had experience with service providers with "questionable" service, and good service is a necessity, also better the devil you know, etc. Also, whats going on with the changes to 5v5, with 5 man squads available. Will it stay the same, or move up to 6v6 to split a squad.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Quote Originally Posted by FeralFoxTrot View Post
      I heard however, that servers have slots separate for observers, so that you don't need to set aside server spaces.
      Have you got a link or a document for this? I presumed otherwise going off information on gameservers.com website

About staying with your current provider, I've had experience with service providers with "questionable" service, and good service is a necessity, also better the devil you know, etc.
      Out of the 3 providers, gameservers seems to be able to provide the best service albeit dodgy.

Also, whats going on with the changes to 5v5, with 5 man squads available. Will it stay the same, or move up to 6v6 to split a squad.
      There has been little information released on game modes for competition for BF4. I think the main focus for BF4 competition will be on the medium sized formats (most likely 10v10 with or without commander). The smaller formats will probably be 5v5 to keep it inline and more transferrable with CS and CoD competitions.
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      Trigger, in reply to the server discussion, the forum won't let me reply, so

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/10...pectator-mode/ and quote: If spectating is enabled, there are four Spectator slots per server, and those four slots are excluded from the number of players the game mode allows. So on PC and next-gen cons
      I think that all under the presumption "If the server has enough slots".

"there are four Spectator slots per server". yes, if there are 4 slots available. Lets say you only have purchased 32 slots for a server and it is fully populated by players... You wont be able to have any spectators because there will be no slots available for them as they are all taken up by playing characters. If you purchased a 70 slot server you will have room for the maximum 64 playing characters, 2 commanders, and 4 spectators.

"and those four slots are excluded from the number of players the game mode allows". This is just saying that there are additional slots on top of the playing character slots available for spectators if you have purchased them.

This is the information I was going off from Gamerservers.com's FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by gameservers.com View Post
      How many slots does BF4 Support?
      BF4 supports up to 70 maximum slots. This number includes 64 players, 2 dedicated commander slots, and 4 spectator slots.
      Last edited by IamTriggerHappy; 23-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Lurker Extraordinaire
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      Efforttt
      Save yourself 2 dollars or so and only get 2 spec slots.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      Sent_is_SPIDEY
      Large server would be awesome! bring on teh vechicles!

Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      habergowd
      No commanders on 5v5 or 10v10.
      FYI.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker
      Hypernia is not an option. Their large pricing per slot, coupled with their awful server service during and before BF3 and the $10-15 fee per month just because we live in Australia is just bullshit.

I am in two minds about whether or not to go with AusGamers or Gameservers. I have heard pretty good things about the people running AusGamers (ex-managers of GameArena i think?) but I don't know/see any concrete examples. I would like to suggest start of with Gameservers, and if their service becomes worse, move to AusGamers and give them a try.

For server configuration/slot count: I think 64 slots, in addition to 2 commanders and 2 spectator slots is ideal. I am assuming that once the game is released and Procon can begin doing shit with BF4, we will have the option to limit who gets in spectator slots/kick them if needed.

I think if we put up a few options and then create a poll we can finalise what we want for our servers.
      Voltstriker | Head of Clan Systems & Servers | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      Quote Originally Posted by habergowd View Post
      No commanders on 5v5 or 10v10.
      FYI.
      Makes sense, just not necessary, even on 32p really.