Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battlefield 4 Tweak Guide

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      crusader-nz
      Quote Originally Posted by FeralFoxTrot View Post
      I imagine this is because of the amount of trading deaths that occur with server side, I don't really mind, in bf3 this wasn't the biggest issues, just an occasional annoyance that was kept fairly low by high ping kicking.
      Yes & no.

I just don't like the fact that a client is "boss" and tells the server if someone is dead or not.
      Thats how some hacks worked at the start of BF3 where the client can just tell the server everyone is dead continuously.

Server side is much safer and is a thorn to hackers.

Main reasons why Dice switched beginning with BF3
      -Offload server processing.
      -Better for console versions where players may not have the choice of joining local / low ping games.

Unfortunately, they are not good developers when it comes to netcode and we bear the brunt of this inefficiency.

Believe me the internet has quite an archive of users grievances with Dice's netcode in all games to date.

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      Yeah, but to be fair, it's not an uncommon issue among fps games. Well it is what it is, by the way, what didn't you like about bf3 and bad company 2, (I saw you posted something about this in the introduce your self thread) and has it been remedied in BF4? (Not the right place for this, but it's just convenient this way).

I found another useful bit of info, since msaa antialiasing is crushing performance wise, ( drops your fps to 60 percent of what it was at 4x)
      and does really badly at cleaning up vegetation. And fxaa blurs the scene severely (although at a minor performance hit, it's still uglier than an aliased image) You can counter this by disabling aa, and setting the render sample higher, 140 percent should give better texture quality, better clarity, and cleaner edges overall, (although non-vegetation may still be more aliased than 2x.) and give a performance hit between 2x, and 4x aa, this is essentially supersampling, and while demanding, is the only flawless pure form of aa, since it is a downsampled image. at 1080p 140 percent resolution is similar to 2400 x 1350. Overall win-win. Or 180 percent would give around 2560x1440, and a slightly harder hit to 1080p with 4x msaa. You may also need more vram to go this route, So at ultra I don't imagine it's a good idea to try with less than 2gb vram on ultra, but I'm not sure how vram intensive this game is.

Alternately you could mix techniques, like 125 percent render quality and 2x msaa for worse vegetation, but better solid edges and similar performance hit to 160 percent alone, but less texture quality.
      Last edited by Voltstriker; 31-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      crusader-nz
      Yeah, but to be fair, it's not an uncommon issue among fps games. Well it is what it is, by the way, what didn't you like about bf3 and bad company 2, (I saw you posted something about this in the introduce your self thread) and has it been remedied in BF4? (Not the right place for this, but it's just convenient this way).

BF 1942 -> BF Vietnam
      Degradation: No ships
      Improvement: Graphics

BF Vietnam -> BF2
      Degradation: Introduction of crazy shit like dolphin diving & too much nading.

BF2 -> BF2142
      Degradation: None.
      Improvement: No dolphin diving, kits are balanced better, battle recorder. (Balanced kits are still present in the latest BF games)

BF2142 -> BC2
      Degradation: Calling it BF when its actually a skirmish, easier for hackers, smaller maps (however is only 32p).

BC2 -> BF3:
      Degradation: Blue overlay, high contrast, unrealistic sun & reflections, client side hit detection, performance issues, lack of admin tools, smaller maps despite being 64p, no commander, no voip, bad single player, weird OP weapons, very slow patching.

BF3 -> BF4:
      Degradation: Yet to be known (if any)
      Improvement: Net code seemed better in the beta, commander is back.

Total Improvments Retained (Up to BF3):
      -Kit balancing.
      -Graphics.

Total Degradations Obtained (Still present in BF3):
      -Ships.
      -Commander mode.
      -Netcode.
      -Sun & reflections.
      -Weird blue overlay.
      -Smaller maps.
      -Less effort in patching.
      -Performance issues.
      -Weird OP weapons that they take ages to fix.

Have played since the first game. Have not been impressed post BF2142 as we have only been going forward in graphics.
      Reason: EA can sell a game that looks good, but the user cannot get a refund on a game that plays bad.

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      From the looks of it, BF4 seems to be following the same improvement trend, and fixing alot of those issues you listed. Ships (well not ships but actually battle relevant boats, and boat suitable maps) commander mode, Netcode improved a bit, sun nerfed (So Op) Blue overlay gone from what I have seen, more natural colours, bigger maps from the look of things, Dice have already been active in patching clearly broken beta elements (They increased the revive timer by 3 seconds, which makes a good compromise, and I think this is a necessary, and good change. It's still shorter than bf3's, but bf3's was insanely long.) Performance issues, from what i've seen, despite graphical and technological advancements, and overall "busier maps" Not much of a drop for imo a substantial gain. Patches for performance are still flowing as well. Weird op weapons? Well only time will tell.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker
      Feral please stop double posting. If you are the last poster, edit your previous post. Dont keep creating new posts as it clutters up the forum.

On topic: A good way to automatically setup your settings for NVIDIA users is to automatically optimize your game using NVIDIA Experience. It changes all your settings to get the best possible performance from your PC

Also, people have reported that the 331.65 drivers are still causing framerate lag, and that the better one to have is the 320.49 which was used by the majority of people during the beta.
      Last edited by Voltstriker; 31-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.
      Voltstriker | Head of Clan Systems & Servers | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      I'm double posting? It must be registering my changes as new copies, I don't know what going on with the computer I'm using, but sometimes it will give the impression it hasn't posted, and then I repost and that copy is fine. I really can't do much about it volt, Same thing happens with the chat stream. I swear I am editing the links. (I'm editing this post, tell me if it double posts again.)

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      crusader-nz
      From the looks of it, BF4 seems to be following the same improvement trend, and fixing alot of those issues you listed. Ships (well not ships but actually battle relevant boats, and boat suitable maps) commander mode, Netcode improved a bit, sun nerfed (So Op) Blue overlay gone from what I have seen, more natural colours, bigger maps from the look of things, Dice have already been active in patching clearly broken beta elements (They increased the revive timer by 3 seconds, which makes a good compromise, and I think this is a necessary, and good change. It's still shorter than bf3's, but bf3's was insanely long.) Performance issues, from what i've seen, despite graphical and technological advancements, and overall "busier maps" Not much of a drop for imo a substantial gain. Patches for performance are still flowing as well. Weird op weapons? Well only time will tell.

I have yet to see for myself if BF4 is an improvement (entirely).

I was impressed by the beta, so thats why I purchased.

Dam EA marketing can't get the timezones right....

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Enraged

Battlelog
      MrSoundGuy
      Battlefield 4 is like battlefield 2 had sex with the child of bad company one and two. Last night was the first time in over a year i have stayed up late to play a battlefield. Good purchase indeed.
      I am Goofen

Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      SoV-FeralWIFI
      With my new pc parts finally here, Battlefield 4 and I are going to paint the walls white if you know what I mean. 60 fps here I come (Literally?)

Also another tweak: If struggling for fps, Ambient occlusion can cause very significant drops when enabled, especially for older cards.
      Last edited by FeralFoxTrot; 01-11-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Actual performance tweak

Mood:
      Awesome

Battlelog
      BogzillaR
      if anyone struggles with fps hit me up or dudes who want 144 or 120 fps constant to benefit from there monitors hz