Thread: Server name change?

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      crusader-nz

Lightbulb Server name change?

Update:
      -Why is the server name being changed so much? It's a bit of a pita.

I am just putting forward a suggestion to change the server name.

Generally non or less clan orientated names work better.
      Also specifying low ping. (Have server rule that under 150ms is kicked).
      Specifying ranked too helps.

The server(s) called .......... SYDNEY 24/7.......... are often popular.

I know some may object to changes, however there is no point in funding a server if it can only ever be filled if we explicitly populate it.

I would like to think I know a bit about successful hosting.
      1. In starcraft I hosted one of the most popular custom games that would populate everytime in seconds.
      2. Also got OTFs (SoV's "predecessor") server to #1 ranking in the oceanic (AU + NZ) in BF2142.

We got our server to #1 in 2142.
      We can do it again if everyone is willing.

http://www.gametracker.com/search/bf4/3000/?

Ideas:

Sydney 24/7 | Ranked | Low Ping
      ..........S Y D N E Y 24/7............| Ranked | Low Ping
      Popular Maps Only 24/7
      Popular Maps Only 24/7......| Ranked | Low Ping | Admined
      Last edited by Crusader-NZ; 24-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      IamTriggerHappy
      I like your thinking Crusader. I never thought to look up the gametracker stats for the most popular servers and looking for the commonalities in their names... good work.

like you, I'd love to see SoV's server become one of the more popular servers. How about a mixture of your ideas and go with something like..

SYDNEY 24/7 | Popular Maps Only | Ranked | Low Ping
      IamTriggerHappy | Head of Treasury & Clan Accounts | Email | Steam Profile | Sons of Valour

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Enraged

Battlelog
      MrSoundGuy
      I'm gonna be honest, when i personally look for servers I quickly glance at name, then map, then players. Having a long name is a massive disadvantage as it is makes people loose interest, because if I quickly see "Popular maps" or "Active Admins" I will be more incline to join said server rather than it being at the back. Just look at tekkit servers for example (http://tekkitserverlist.com/) every host piles up the titles with useless shit related to the server, so it it then quickly becomes useless and boring.

This is my personal opinion
      Last edited by MrPoliceMan; 01-11-2013 at 11:21 AM.
      I am Goofen

Clan Member
      Mood:
      ----

Battlelog
      crusader-nz
      Quote Originally Posted by IamTriggerHappy View Post
      I like your thinking Crusader. I never thought to look up the gametracker stats for the most popular servers and looking for the commonalities in their names... good work.

like you, I'd love to see SoV's server become one of the more popular servers. How about a mixture of your ideas and go with something like..

SYDNEY 24/7 | Popular Maps Only | Ranked | Low Ping

Sounds good, I am open to discussion providing others also have a similar goal.

Also if possible do not have an auto time out.

What we can do is leave players on the server overnight and the first people to jump on in the mornings will get on a populated server.

In a larger life cycle....

1) Popular server = better recruitment ground.
      2) Better recruitment ground = more members.
      3) More members = better funding of the server or more servers.
      4) More servers with our members = more practise & more or better scrim teams for competitions.

Advisory Council
      Retired High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Sneaky

Battlelog
      DRZdeano
      so when we had one of the most popular servers in aus (top 5 wasnt it?), what was it called. SoV 24/7 metro ?

I think most would agree that SoV *MUST* be in the title, for public servers.

The server name should describe whos server it is server and what map/mode. possibly something more detailed if it is not normal like 'high ticket count' Stuff like 'ranked' and 'low ping' is redundant and should be put in the server description, considering battlelog already gives you that information is should not be there. Keep the 24/7 title for servers that run a single map/mode or setting all the time.(such as metro only 24/7)

I understand that some people are retarded and dont know how to use the server browser, personally im not that worried about those guys not finding our server.

As much as i agree with all your points about a good server is a populated server. Nothing is going to get around the fact that it takes a small group of people to spend some time in an empty server until it populates.

Without having many members on during the day, the server will usually sit there empty till we all get home from work or school. Sometimes afk'ers work but rarely to they populate a server.

can anyone remember the good servers that were always populated?
      such as the 'fantasy battlefield 32 player inf only.' and (who can forget) Metro 24/7 1500 tix no explosives.
      What was so good about those servers and how can we replicate that.

Keep them admin'd and keep em populated, not much more than that we can do. Apart from change the server settings/modes to whats popular.

the best we can hope for is to build a base of regulars that like our server for whatever reason, and keep returning. Being its our clan server, its up to our clan members to provide an enjoyable gaming environment for the randoms.
      Last edited by Voltstriker; 01-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Hungry

Battlelog
      Hairy_Eagle
      Quote Originally Posted by drzdeano View Post
      I think most would agree that SoV *MUST* be in the title, for public servers.
      Agreed. I believe that SoV has a pretty good name within the community and having the name in there will benefit us (+ its only 3 letters). What about having a vote map system in? I saw that this worked well with some bf3 servers (vote between maps and game modes)