Thread: 120hz or 144hz

High Council
      Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Godly

Battlelog
      VoItstriker
      If memory serves me correctly, in the past the X60 and the X70 (replace X with whatever gen of card it is) are usually very similar in performance. From the little bit of research I did with the 900 series, the 970 seems to overshadow the 960 a bit.

The 970's I looked at had a higher core clock (~100-200MHz higher) and 256-bit memory as opposed to the lower clock ratio and 128-bit memory of the 960s I looked at, though apparently while nice, a higher bit memory type isn't a deciding factor. These were the Gigabyte non-ref cards so they are usually better in specs than reference cards. I did not look at other brands of non-ref cards.

The difference between reference cards seems to be a bit larger, though I think that the reference 960 only has like 2GB memory as opposed to the 970's 4GB.

Comparison Graphs
      Spoiler Spoiler - Click to View
      Tom's Hardware thread - Recommended Read

tl;dr if you have the cash I would probs go for the 970 over the 960. Spending a little extra on graphics card is usually an ok investment if its a good quality one. Alternatively if you wanted to save a bit of money, you could opt for the 960 and in the future if it starts to struggle, buy another one and SLI it
      Last edited by Voltstriker; 18-11-2015 at 07:35 PM.
      Voltstriker | Head of Clan Systems & Servers | Email | Battlelog Profile | CyberGamer Profile

2. The following user likes this post:

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

thanks for the info mate. did see that Toms hardware thread but couldn't make a call on what bits were better than others - e.g. core speed, memory , ratio ...
      But i think i'll go the 970 and future proof myself a bit .

Final question would be - instead of buying both card + monitor together, going to buy 1 now and one in a few months time just so it's not a hit to the back pocket at 1 time.

i'm thinking of picking up the monitor ...from researching online te 570 is able to get a lift above 60fps...so while it won't maximise potential of the monitor - it'll tide me over till the 970 arrives in a few weeks.

The card and monitor are both worth similar dollars so it's really just about what gets me an immediate result...

Any final thoughts?

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Wtf

Battlelog
      lll-Griffsta-lll
      In terms to immediate result the monitor would be my choice because you could just lower you settings or overclock your video card to achieve over 144 frames.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

righto to celebrate have ordered a BenQXL2411Z...

was considering the XL2430T but from researching it didn't look like the extra $100 would be worth it for me...jumping from 60hz to 144hz will be plenty!!!

will pick up a new vid card later in the year..the 570 should be able to get me some enjoyment in the meantime ..

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Drunk

Battlelog
      Surge-Reaver
      Noice. Don't have high expectations until you get your new GPU.
      570 will struggle to get high fps with most modern games (I had one a few years ago). Should be ok for CS though.

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

yeah i expect as much...i'm hopeful coming from such a low base i'll see SOME benefit - particularly in CS as you , since i don't really get time to play other games with any real consistency...

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      Ok so i have a birthday next month and i thought why not get my family to all tip in for a new monitor. I didnt want to go overboard in price and since im not the only one paying for it ill spend a touch more than i would like. Anyway looking for a price point of about $400-$600 i did some research. I don't know how much you would want to spend but after looking at some reviews i decided on this one, the Benq 24" XL2430T.

Review: http://www.displaylag.com/benq-xl243...aming-monitor/

and unboxing:

edit: also 100th post
      Last edited by Pirate_Radio; 12-10-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: 100th post baby!

Clan Member
      Donator
      Mood:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Radio View Post
      Ok so i have a birthday next month and i thought why not get my family to all tip in for a new monitor. I didnt want to go overboard in price and since im not the only one paying for it ill spend a touch more than i would like. Anyway looking for a price point of about $400-$600 i did some research. I don't know how much you would want to spend but after looking at some reviews i decided on this one, the Benq 24" XL2430T.

and unboxing:

Verrry noice mate.

If you can afford it that's probably one of (if not) the best monitor in that price range - from my research anyway...

i went 1 model down the XL2411Z...it was $100 cheaper and since i have to upgrade my GPU in a few weeks i'm putting the cash towards that (dem suckers ain't cheap!)

if i didn't have to fork out again for GPU i would've probably gone the 2430T

When will you pick it up?
      I'll have to hit you up on TS when i see you on to see how it's going ...

i picked up my monitor today so i'll be testing it out this week ....

Edit: Grats on 100 posts
      Last edited by Splinter; 12-10-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Server Administrator
      Clan Member
      Mood:
      Piratey

Battlelog
      Pirate_Radio
      Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
      Verrry noice mate.

If you can afford it that's probably one of (if not) the best monitor in that price range - from my research anyway...

i went 1 model down the XL2411Z...it was $100 cheaper and since i have to upgrade my GPU in a few weeks i'm putting the cash towards that (dem suckers ain't cheap!)

if i didn't have to fork out again for GPU i would've probably gone the 2430T

When will you pick it up?
      I'll have to hit you up on TS when i see you on to see how it's going ...

i picked up my monitor today so i'll be testing it out this week ....

Edit: Grats on 100 posts
      Thats good, im glad we came to the same conclusion, makes me feel better about my choice.

Ill unfortunately have to wait till my birthday which is in 5 weeks. so i wont be able to let you know for a while haha.

The one you picked looks quite similar side by side so bang for your buck i reckon u have done pretty well. you'll have to let me know how yours goes this week.

Clan Member
      Mood:
      Drunk

Battlelog
      Surge-Reaver
      Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_Radio View Post

and unboxing:

I have an XL2411T. Only because Samsung discontinued their range of 24" 120/144Hz monitors. (Much cheaper)

::PROVIDED THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MONITORS AT THE SAME RES AND PANEL TYPE::
      From my experience. If it does 120/144Hz then it's fine. Every dollar you spend extra is for aesthetics, extra buttons, extra modes, ergonomics, adjustability.

Obviously the price will go up for higher res and/or IPS panel (higher latency, better colours and view angle)